- Porta Nuova Bergamo Apartments in the heart of Bergamo Italy -
Wonderful view in the heart of Bergamo
Located in the centre of Bergamo, at about 300 meters from a car park, 10 minutes on foot from the Railway Station of and 3,5 km from Piazza Vecchia. The apartments are situated in a recently renovated old mansion in LARGO PORTA NUOVA n. 3, overlooking Viale Papa Giovanni XXIII, famous for both its exclusive boutiques and for being the main road between the lower and the upper town.
A lot of dedicated services offert by B&B Bergamo
You will find air conditioning and free Wi-Fi connection in every apartment. In the morning you can prepare your breakfast with coffee, croissants and fruit juices which will be put a your disposal. Each apartment is equipped with a apartment screen TV, a kitchenette and a private bathroom complete with hairdryer and toiletries.
Apartment DescriptionB&B Porta Nuova Bergamo Apartments
Porta Nuova Bergamo Apartments offers 6 luxury apartments in the center of Bergamo. Located in a recently renovated old mansion, all the apartments are very bright thanks to their windows with a wonderful view of the upper town. Our apartments are of different sizes and can accommodate from two to six people.
The top quality furnishings perfectly match the parquet floor, which creates such a warm atmosphere that people really feel at ease.
Further information about Bed and Breakfast
All apartments have a bedroom, a small living room with small dinner table, a kitchenette with what is needed to prepare breakfast, lunch or some snacks, a bathroom with a shower; a television with a apartment screen and free WiFi connection are also offered.
Moreover the central position of the apartments allows people to walk around the town, to do shopping in the shops and boutiques; apartments are also suitable for people who are just passing by and want to quickly reach the railway or bus stations, the motorway or the Orio al Serio airport.
"Perfect location, just 5 minutes walking from the railway station. The owner of the apartment is very nice, we checked in late in the evening(20:30) and checked out early in the morning(07:00), no problem for her, and she brought the fresh bread to us in the morning even we have a lot options for breakfast in the apartment already. She also helped us with the bus tickets to the airport. Highly recommend to anyone who wants to have a pleasant memory of the lovely city.".
"Muy bien situado. Apartamento nuevo, bien decorado y muy limpio ".
"La situation, la gentillesse de Glenda, l'appartement tout neuf et nickel de propreté, le petit déj offert au bar du mari de Glenda... ".
"Glenda nous a contacté avant notre arrivée pour pouvoir nous guider et nous recevoir dès notre arrivée. L'appartement était très agréable, bien aménagé, propre et tout á fait approprié pour 3 personnes. Les rues commerçantes sont toutes proches et la vieille ville est accessible facilement par les transports en commun. Je n'hésiterai pas á le recommander ou bien á y retourner si je repasse par Bergame.".
"We travelled as a group of four adults with one baby. The apartments at Porta Nuova were brilliant! The apartment was spotless and beautifully decorated, with every attention to detail being made. We stayed in 2 bedroom apartment that very large with gorgeous views from all the bedrooms. The host Glenda was especially helpful and went to a lot of trouble to accommodate our baby. She was very prompt with email queries and very helpful during our stay. The apartment is located at the base of the hill to Citta Alta, in the middle of the new city where there are plenty of wonderful restaurants and shopping! The apartment is also located upstairs from a delicious bakery! I would definitely recommend this great apartment to anyone. Excellent value and location.
"A tastefully decorated apartment in muted tones, in the centre of Bergamo. We stayed in a two bedroom apartment - one bedroom was huge, the other more than adequate. Porta Nuova is well located, 10 minutes walk to the station in one direction and 10 minutes walk to the funicular for Citta Alta, in the other. There were pleasant views from our apartment. For an extra 20 Euro, the owner met us at the airport and we had a private transfer directly to the apartment. The driver recommended a bar called Giardini, which is a few minutes walk from the apartment and we spent 2 pleasant evenings here. Glenda was very helpful and friendly and we would stay here again.".
- 6 apartments for every need -
Living room and kitchen
2 bedroom Apartment (2-6 people)
Spacious apartment made up of a double bed and a second bedroom, a living room with kitchenette, a hall, a bathroom with shower. The apartment is furnished with style and has got a parquet floor; it is very bright and has a wonderful view of Città Alta (upper town). Very central position with many facilities nearby.
Free of charge! A child of less than 3 years old can stay free of charge (sleeping in the small bed or cradle). Every child more than 3 years old or every adult shall individually pay 20 EUR per night (sleeping in an extra bed). The maximum number of extra beds or cradles is 1 (one). Extra beds or cradles are available on request and will be confirmed in advance by the hotel. The surcharges are not included in the total amount and must be paid separately.
- Bergamo the City of the “Mille”
(the Garbibaldi’s Thousand) -
The first occupation was made by Gauls, Cenomani and Senoni. In latin name for Bergamo was Bergomum. The Gallia Transpadana (Trans-Po-Valley Gaul) was successively annexed to the expanding Roman Republic, and from 49 a.C. also Bergomum became a roman Municipium. The Romans rebuilt the centre following the cardo-decuman axis.
After the fall of the Empire, Bergomum was repeatedly sacked, until the arrival of the Longobards in 569, who installed therein a Dukedom. In this period the growth of the following powerful families took place: Suardi, Colleoni, Crotti, Rivola, Mozzi, Martinengo. Deprived of power by the Franks in 774, the town was then governed by a series of bishops-counts. In 1098 Bergamo became a city and, after a couple of wars with Brescia, it joined the Lombard League which defeated the Emperor Frederick II. Starting from the XIII century, in the course of the conflicts between the Guelphic and Ghibelline factions, Bergamo fell under the influence of the Visconti from Milan, who fortified the Citadel. Since 1428 Bergamo became part of the “Serenissima” (this is how Venice was formally called, the most serene Republic of Venice) under whose rule Bergamo has a period of peace and prosperity. The Venetians rebuilt the old town, erecting the imposing defensive stone walls which you can still see today. The venetian rule continued up to the napoleonic age when, after the short experience of the Republic of Bergamo, of the Cisalpine Republic and the Kingdom of Italy, within the Restoration period Bergamo fell under the Austrian sphere of the Lombard-Venetian Kingdom. The Austrians were the promoters of the first industrialization of the territory of Bergamo, with the installation of textile factories. Bergamo took an active part in the “Risorgimento”, contributing of good part of the “Mille” (the Garibaldi’s Thousand). Garibaldi himself entered the city, with his “Cacciatori delle Alpi” (Hunters of Alps) on the 8th of June 1859. Since 1860 Bergamo is part of the Kingdom and afterwards of the Italian Republic.
Monuments of “Città Alta” (upper town)
Bergamo Alta (also called “Città Alta” (upper town) or, in the past, the town, to differentiate it from the suburbs, is a medieval town, surrounded by ramparts built in the XVI century, during the Venetian dominion, which together with the pre-existing fortifications could make Bergamo an inexpugnable fortress.
“Città Alta” is now part of the Third District of the municipality of Bergamo. The Third District includes the areas of Conca Fiorita, Monterosso, San Colombano, Valverde, Santa Caterina, Redona, Città Alta and the Hills. The council of the Third District is made of 15 members elected during the local elections. Up to now Bergamo together with Padoa, Ferrara, Lucca and Grosseto is one of the five Italian towns with an historical centre completely surrounded by stone walls which, in the course of the centuries, have maintained more or less intact their original look. The most famous and visited part of Bergamo Alta is “Piazza Vecchia” (old square), with the Contarini fountain, the “Palazzo della Ragione”, the “Torre civica” (civic tower), denominated “Campanone” (the big towerbell), which still today at 22.00 strikes 100 strokes – which in the past announced the night closure of the main doors of the venetian stone walls – and other buildings which surround it on each side. Imposing, on the opposite side of the “Palazzo della Ragione” is the big white building of “Palazzo Nuovo” which houses nowadays the “Biblioteca Angelo Mai” (the Library). On the South side of “Piazza Vecchia” we can see the “Duomo” (the Cathedral), the Colleoni chapel of the architect Giovanni Antonio Amadeo with its tombs of the Condottiere Bartolomeo Colleoni and his daughter Medea, the “Battistero” (the Baptistry) built by Giovanni da Campione and the “Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore” (the Saint Mary Major Basilica) with its beautiful northern and southern lateral portals, by Giovanni da Campione. This last which belongs to the town and not to the Diocese, shows inside the architectonic marks of the various periods which followed one another since its construction. Noteworthy are the inlay works depicting biblical scenes realized in wood of various colours whose drawings are ascribed to Lorenzo Lotto, and an imposing baroque confessional carved by Andrea Fantoni. The church houses the tomb of the Composer Gaetano Donizetti. “Via Colleoni”, also known as Corsaröla, links “Piazza Vecchia” to “Piazza della Cittadella” (Citadel square) and it is the heart of the upper town. In “Piazza della Cittadella” you can find the “Museo civico archeologico” (Archaeological Civic Museum) and the “Museo di scienze naturali Enrico Caffi (the Caffi Natural Science Museum); not far away from here you can visit the Lantro Fountain, near San Lorenzo Church. Among the other religious constructions there is the San Michele Church at Pozzo Bianco, with frescos of the Scenes of the life of Maria by Lorenzo Lotto (1525). “Città Alta” moreover houses a Botanical Garden but it is also the seat of the prestigious University of Foreign Languages and Literature, famous in all Europe. We can reach “Città Alta” on foot through the “scorlazzini” (flights of steps which from different and various points link it to the cable railway), by car (even if you can’t go by car on the Sunday afternoon during the summer weekends), by funicular or by bus.
Traditional Food of Bergamo
A person who is keen of good food and walks along our “streets of gusto” will surely appreciate a pleasant break in one of the numerous restaurants which are everywhere in the whole province of Bergamo.
It is the moment of the typical products of a much varied region, starting from various kinds of cold meats and salami, all rigorously “alla bergamasca”, and with the cheeses. As to the first courses, there are two typical specialities of stuffed pasta (pasta filled with meat): the “casonsèi” and the “scarpinocc de Parr”, named after the village, in the Serio Valley, from where they originate. What about the second courses? We have an embarrassingly wide choice: roasts, stewed meats, using only certified bovine meat, game, fish, specially the excellent ones fished in the Sebino lake. These various typical local products are often accompanied with ‘Polenta’ (thick maize porridge with cheese). Or better still, the presence of the polenta, which in the past was the basic food of the families, is synonymous, in its classic preparation or in the ‘taragna’ version (that is cooked with cheese from alpine pastures), of the typical dish of the tradition of Bergamo and naturally, every typical dish should be accompanied with the excellent Valcalepio Wine DOC or simply with one of the 13 mineral water labels originating from the sources of the valleys.
The exhibition area is placed at the first level of “Piazza Cittadella” (Citadel square). A the top of the great staircase we are welcomed by the attendants; it is also possible to find informative material referring to the museum. The wide hall, besides the reconstruction of an adult Mammoth and its cub, houses the relief map of the exhibition area. Some panels summarize the history of the naturalist museums, from the dawnings of the "camere delle meraviglie" (rooms of wonders), to the Enlightenment impulse of the knowledge, up to the environment protection and the biodiversity which today gives life to the spirits of these Institutes; in particular we can find the most significant example of European and Italian museums. Web Site
At the same time of the first public opening of his own Gallery, in 1793, the Count Giacomo Carrara wanted drawing and painting lessons to take place in the same place. However, it’s only in 1810, when Giuseppe Diotti was nominated Professor and after the construction of a new building with neoclassic forms designed by the architect Simone Elia, disciple of Leopoldo Pollack, that for the School a period with much more significant activities began. Here is the chronological order of the School Directors: Giuseppe Diotti, Enrico Scuri, Cesare Tallone, Ponziano Loverini, Luigi Brignoli, Achille Funi, Trento Longaretti and after about ten years where various Responsibles followed one another, Pierluigi De Vecchi, Mario Cresci and Maria Grazia Recanati who is the present Director in charge. Web Site
From the stone hatchets to the iron swords, from the celtic bronze ornaments to the longobard gold crosses, from the cinerary urns to the roman tombstones, and then potteries, glasses, sculptures and mosaics ... a journey through time on the trails of the Celts, Romans and Longobards who lived in Bergamo and its Province. Web Site
The Museum of Donizetti, opened in 1906, gathers a unique collection the relics owned by the baroness Giovanna Ginevra Rota Basoni Scotti and the documents owned by the town council of Bergamo pertinent to the life and to the artistic activity of Gaetano Donizetti (1797-1848). Web Site
This elegant street par excellence leads from S. Spirito Square to the centre of the town. Many sober buildings and shops follow one another along this street. The “Palazzo della Provincia” dominates on the laeft side and, further on, you can find the old seat of the “Municipio” (Town Hall), both built in the second half of the nineteenth century. The street ends with the San Bartolomeo Church (on the right) where the precious Martinengo Altarpiece is kept, a work of art of Lorenzo Lotto.
Here begins one of the most famous places of Bergamo, the so called “Sentierone” (big path), as in the past is was crossed by an old path linking “Borgo di Pignolo” with ”Borgo San Leonardo”. This area, airy and very bright, by tradition where the city-dwellers met and go to walk. It is also the place of the famous Donizetti Theatre (on the left). Past the columns of the “Sentierone”, “Via Venti Settembre” begins, the traditional street for shopping. It leads to a widening of the road: on the left you can find the picturesque “Piazza Pontida”, in the past heart of the commercial activities; on the right, “Via Sant’Alessandro” goes up towards “Bergamo alta” (upper town): here as well a lot of shops, with a continuous series of windows, up to the upper side of the street. After a look on the right to the medieval “alley of the Towers” and the “Monastero San Benedetto” (a small door opens into a tiny cloister with frescos: a real treasure) with the beautiful sixteenth century church, you can leave Via Sant’Alessandro and go alone the adjoining “Via Botta” , wich leads into “Viale Vittorio Emanuele”. Going up hill for about one hundred meters we arrive, after a wide curve, to the funicular station.
Do not hesitate to use this unusual vehicle: just a few minute to arrive to the Bergamo on the Hill by going up among panoramic views which continuously change and we end up in “Piazza Mercato delle Scarpe” (Shoes Market square), which is a beautiful departure place to go to the discovery of the old town. Just in front of this place begins “Via Gombito” . At the intersection with the Lupo and San Lorenzo streets you can see the great structure of the “Torre di Gombito” (52 meters). Near this tower it is possible to deviate in the direction of “Piazza Mercato del fieno” (Hay Market square), which houses the Historical Museum of the town. Another historical museum, specialized in the history of the “Risorgimento”, is inside the “Rocca”, a beautiful panoramic place which is accessibile through a pictoresque small street which clambers up from “Piazza Mercato delle Scarpe” up to the medieval rampart.
Going back, turning right at the Gombito Tower, like in a theatrical set, the wings open and here begins the charm of “Piazza Vecchia”, an extraordinary space: in fact, not wrongly, it is considered one of the most beautiful squares of Italy. Our glance, in the 15th century Piazza Vecchia, immediately lays on the beautiful Contarini fountain located in the middle of the square: the buildings lining up along the two longer sides (on the right the “Palazzo del Podestà”) lead towards the “Palazzo della Ragione” which, with its magnificent venetian lion on its façade, closes the square back. In a corner stands out the Comune Tower , also called “Campanone”. The municipal Library distinguishes itself for its imposing marble façade. Over the porch under the “Palazzo della Ragione”, we can catch a glimpse of another area: the “Piazza del Duomo” (the Cathedral square). The Cathedral dedicated to the patron saint Alexander; the Santa Maria Maggiore Basilica, with its austere roman look which contains a magnificent baroque ornament as in one jewel box; the Colleoni Chaptel, masterpiece of the lombard “Rinascimento”, which Giovanni Antonio Amadeo built on account of the great Condottiere Bartolomeo Colleoni and the Batipstery overlook this closed square.